Careers at Public Agenda
Public Agenda is an equal opportunity employer.
Public Agenda - Public Engagement Associate
Overview of Organization
Public Agenda is a nonprofit organization that helps diverse leaders and citizens navigate complex, divisive issues. Through nonpartisan research and engagement, it provides people with the insights and support they need to arrive at workable solutions on critical issues, regardless of their differences. Since 1975, Public Agenda has helped foster progress on K-12 and higher education reform, health care, federal and local budgets, energy and immigration.
The Public Engagement Associate works with the Public Engagement (PE) department to develop coordinate and implement engagement projects across a range of issues areas. The associate leads a variety of field-based qualitative research and engagement projects, produces project memos and research reports, represents Public Agenda in leadership settings, and works on project development, management and evaluation. This position reports directly to the Director of Public Engagement Programs.
The PE Department is busy and fast moving. The applicant must be comfortable leading projects independently and with minimal supervision, but maintain an ability to work as part of a project team. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is interested in joining our team based in New York City and contributing to our work across the country.
- Managing projects, including work plan development, client management, and budget monitoring
- Providing stakeholder engagement technical assistance on a variety of issues, including strategic planning, pre-engagement research, and customization of engagement tools and materials
- Performing qualitative research and analysis, including the development of protocols for interviews, focus groups and site visits and transcript analysis
- Reporting on Public Engagement activities for a range of stakeholder audiences, including institutional leaders, funders, the public, researchers, practitioners, and more.
- Conducting trainings in facilitation, public and institutional engagement.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
Minimum educational requirement is an advanced degree in a social science or related discipline (e.g., public policy, public administration, education, political science, organizational development/psychology, social psychology, public health, etc).
Minimum 5 years work experience in any or some combination of the following fields: Public engagement; organizational development and change management; public policy, especially around domestic issues, higher education and K-12 reform; qualitative research and evaluation; communications.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact effectively with community members of diverse backgrounds as well as local, state and national leaders
- Strong project management skills and highly organized
- Exceptional analytic capacities (ability to research and synthesize material quickly).
- A sense of humor and ability to work with a diverse team on diverse projects
- Keen eye for detail
- Desire and ability to travel domestically a MUST -- this position requires significant travel (7 to 9 days per month on average)
- Experience conducting trainings, event planning and/or community engagement a plus
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Public Agenda is an equal opportunity employer based in New York City offering a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and room to grow. Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, please send the following documents combined into a single PDF document to
Jyoti Gupta, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- Professional writing sample (5 pages max.)
Please write "Re: Public Engagement Associate Position" in the subject line of your email and do not include your cover letter in the body of the email.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and until the position is filled. No phone calls please.